If you are considering a career change, medical transcription may be something you are considering. There are seven characteristics that people tend to have who make good medical transcriptionists.
- A love of language. If you are a person who loves words and language, then this might be the right choice for you. Knowing and understanding language is an important skill in this profession.
- Good spelling skills. Because the documents you produce are legal documents of a patient’s healthcare story, you must have good spelling skills to be successful. The words in the reports have to be spelled correctly to make it a quality document.
- Grammar. In addition to good spelling and loving language, it is important to have good grammar skills. The people who dictate medical reports do not always speak with the best grammar, and it is up to the medical transcriptionist to be sure that the reports they transcribe are grammatically correct.
- The ability to work with deadlines. Everything in healthcare depends on deadlines being met. If you are a person who works well with meeting deadlines and can successfully do that, then this may be a good choice for you.
- Keyboarding skills. Are you a fast typist? If so, that will certainly help in this field. Many medical transcriptionists are paid on a production-pay basis, which means the faster you type, the higher your income will go.
- Know and understand technology. You should be able to operate a computer and have some good basic technology skills. You do not have to be a computer guru, but you do need to know your way around the computer. It is also important that new technology not frighten you as the technologies in the industry are changing all the time. Be willing to embrace and new things and learn to make them work for you.
- The ability to adapt well to change. Medicine changes every day. That means new things to learn and different ways to do something. You may have new clients who want things done differently as well. The ability to adapt to change without being stressed about it is very important in this field.
Hopefully this list will help you in deciding if medical transcription is the right career choice for you.