The Feingold Diet is a book written by Dr. Benjamen Feingold, a pediatrician who wanted to explore how children’s diets affected their behavior, particularly in terms of ADD, ADHD, and Hyperactivity.
The book gained popularity since it was first published in the 1970s and remains popular to this day. It has also been adopted by many adults as a manual for healthier eating.
The Feingold Diet places a great emphasis on clean eating, particularly in removing several elements from your diet which include the following:
- Synthetic food colors
- Artificial flavors
- Artificial sweeteners
- Artificial preservatives
These can influence how your child behave but they also influence your health in many other ways, some of which are hard to determine.
This diet book is far from perfect and using it is not without its challenges. Therefore, you should know the following pros and cons of the Feingold Diet:
- The Feingold Diet was written by a Doctor and is based on his research
- Advocates a balanced diet
- The diet book contains recipes which you can use to follow the diet more easily
- Diet beneficial to children with ADD and ADHD symptoms
- The book contains a comprehensive food list
- Some people may find the required changes in the Feingold Diet too hard to follow
- Requires a lot of planning
- The diet does not have a role for exercise
- Can be time consuming
- Rigorous and restrictive
- No fast foods or restaurant foods allowed. This can be healthy but may be difficult for some people.
Overall, this is a book worth reading, especially if you wish to know more about the healthy diet which children need.