Wondering what you can snack on before turning into bed for the night? If you are like most people, you have heard snacking before bed is a big no-no if you want to keep your weight in check. But is this the case? Provided you are snacking on the proper foods, and including these as part of your overall daily calorie intake, you can certainly add them to your eating plan without concern.
Let's look at five different smart snack options for the pre-bed period …
1. Cottage Cheese. Cottage cheese is a perfect pre-bed snack as it is a form of casein protein, which means it is slow to be digested in your body. At 100 calories per half-cup serving, it is also an easy one to work into your total daily calorie target.
Serve it with a few nuts or a couple of grapes.
2. Canned Salmon. Canned salmon is the next ideal pre-bed snack to use on a regular basis. All you need to do here is open up the can, and it is ready to go. The great thing about salmon is it's a rich source of protein as well as a terrific source of healthy fats. Both of these are perfect for keeping your body as lean as possible.
With no carb count, it will also keep your blood sugar levels stable. Mix with egg white and prepare a salmon patty if desired.
3. Nut Butter. Nut butter, whether eaten alone or with celery, for example, is another good choice before bed. You do need to watch how much you eat here (too much nut butter will add up quickly!), But it is a source of healthy fats, protein, as well as some dietary fiber.
A tablespoon or two can be an excellent way to end your day.
4. Oatmeal. If you have had a relatively active day, do not shy away from adding oatmeal to your eating plan. Eating carbs, as long as they are slow digesting carbs before bed can be permitted.
Choose steel-cut oats or plain oats if steel-cut oats are not available and make sure you are not adding massive amounts of sugar to the bowl. Flavor with some cinnamon or nuts instead.
5. Raw Vegetables With Guacamole. Finally, consider guacamole as a perfect pre-bed snack along with diced vegetables. Vegetables are low in calories, high in fiber and are an ideal choice for those seeking bodyweight control. And, the guacamole is going to provide healthy fats along with the protein your body needs to keep your hunger in check for the overnight fast ahead.
There you have a few great pre-bed snacks to fuel your body without causing weight gain. Do not fear to eat before bed; just be smart how you go about it.