The smartphone has become one of the most popular advancements when it comes to mobile communication. Over the last few years, the number of smartphone users has been hugely increasing. Based on the latest trends, it is forecasted that there will be a continuous rise in the number of smartphone users. The phenomenal success of smartphones has become possible because it was able to penetrate markets such as rural areas and other areas that have no access to dial-up Internet.
Definitely, smartphones have reached almost every part of the world. Businesses may wonder how people use smartphones. Having the knowledge can help them in improving their marketing strategies by offering features or enhancements that can address the way people use the said devices. Below are the latest statistics and trends on smartphone usage.
Statistics and Forecasts
- Sending text messages is one of the ways how people use their smartphones. Of the 18 to 29 years old smartphone users, 97% send text messages.
- Visiting blogs is among the hobbies of Internet users. In November 2012, 20% of the people who visit blogs used mobile devices.
- By 2016, more Americans or people living in the US are going to use smartphones. In particular, it is forecasted that by this year, 80% of the population already have their own smartphone units.
- By 2016, more US citizens are also expected to use tablet computers. In particular, 50% of the population will use tablets such as iPads.
- Mornings and evenings are times when smartphone usage is most prevalent.
- Checking emails is also among the reasons why people buy smartphones. With a mobile device, there is a lot of convenience. The statistics from October 2010 to October 2012 evidently shows that there is a huge increase in the number of people that use smartphones to visit their emails. The number has increased by 300%.
- Moreover, people are using their smartphones more on Thursday to Monday than on Tuesday to Wednesday.
Most Common Activities
People have different reasons why they buy smartphones. Many buy these mobile devices mainly for games. Others buy for business purposes. Below are some of the most common activities of smartphone users:
- People use smartphones while in a store. The percentage of users that do that has already reached 63%.
- Surfing is another common activity. Users do it anywhere. For those who do it in the restaurant, the percentage has already reached 64%.
- Surfing is also done while travelling. Usually, the reason is to kill time or do important tasks such as checking business updates. As of 2013, 70% of smartphone users do surfing while on travel.
- There are users that don’t even bother about the Maps application. Surprisingly, 72% of users use smartphones for maps.
- Lastly, SMS or text messaging is also one of the most common reasons why people have smartphones. As of 2013, the percentage of users who avail the SMS service has reached 90%.
Another common activity of smartphone users is calling and voicemail messaging. This might not be true for all but it is very true for business people. In particular, they use these mobile devices to improve their communication system. They actually integrate these phones to have better access of the phone services. To achieve that, they must adopt the best phone system like the RingCentral business phone system